08 May 2006

« Bachelor » dinner

I'm not exactly a bachelor, but I have too many nights home alone. When money is tight and there's not much food to go on at home, I've learned to improvise.

Entree:
on medium-high heat warm 3 Tbsp olive oil in a 10" cast-iron skillet
add 1/2 a sweet onion chopped and "sweat" it in the pan
add one Idaho potato diced with skin
add 4 Tbsp random chopped herbs (I used parsley, oregano, lavender, rosemary and sage)
let this sautee until the edges of the potato pieces turn white
then add about 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables (I used a California blend)
next I added two Boca brand frozen vegetarian Italian sausages
then 1/3 cup liquid (I used water and Grey Goose vodka)
cover and let simmer until potatoes are tender enough to cut with a fork
MMMMM...Was it good!

Dessert:
1/2 a multigrain bagel... toasted
about 15 or dark choclate chips (I used Ghirardelli 70% cocoa baking pieces)
1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
place the chips on the freshly toasted bagel and then "nuke" that for about 10 to 15 seconds
then shmeer on the peanut butter
[Anyone who claims this isn't delicious is lying out his ass!]

No comments: