05 February 2008

I'm a Georgia Voter!


Finally, the day arrived. I got up at 5:15 AM to walk the dog. Yoga went by the wayside as I scurried to the shower. Breakfast was a mere swig of orange juice and a few spoonfuls of soy yogurt. Off to the polls at 6:40, just a trip around the corner, and I was there. Fifth person in line. At 7:00 AM promptly, Pam, Ann & Sandy welcomed into the elementary school gym (Carpeted! Can you believe it?) that served as the poling place. By 7:07 I had cast my electronic ballot and was on my way to work. It's a pleasure to find that voting can go smoothly.

However, upon my arrival to school I had to post progress report grades only to discover to my dismay that 45% of my advanced French class (levels 3, 4 & 5; all together, YIKES!) was failing. Mardi Gras was a big fat flop! I had been discouraged by the general lack of enthusiasm or of a real work ethic among some students, but this was a nightmare. I expressed my disappointment and nausea at their lack of drive and bluntly told them to kick into high gear. I also said that I wanted real signatures from living parents on the progress reports. Many looked at me in dismay with the "how did he know?" wonderment. Please!

What's more? My French Club students really dropped the ball this year. Despite all the calendar marking and multiple promises, none of them did what was needed for planning. So no King's Cake, no beads, no masques, no music, no fun was there in French Club. I'm so upset. We'll meet next week and setup a "Lenten" event for the last Tuesday in February. It won't be the same, but it will be something.

No comments: